1. Our guilt do we confess today,
Your law did we reject;
So little truth and mercy here—
Your Word sees no respect.
2. We swear, we lie, we kill and steal,
See harlotry increase;
We break restraint, and blood on blood,
Ignore the law of peace.
3. Our land, it mourns, we waste away,
For wisdom seek we not;
Destruction will our portion be,
If God we have forgot.
4. To crystals, stone, and gold we pray,
Those worthless things we preach;
Those sightless eyes, unhearing ears,
In vain do we beseech.
5. We well deserve the charge You bring,
Upon us lays the blame;
Contentious, proud, we stumble on,
Our glory turns to shame.
6. Show us that only in Your Word
Do truth and mercy live;
Send priests and prophets to instruct,
And Your pure wisdom give.
7. Have mercy, Lord, reject us not,
Draw us to seek Your face;
Direct our feet and deeds to You,
Restore us by Your grace.
8. Lord, melt these icy hearts of stone,
Make us Your counsel seek,
And sacrifice to You alone,
With humble hearts and meek.